Sunday, March 21, 2010

Family Food


Do your family have a peculiar food fancy? Our is pancakes. Now, we all like the big fluffy cake like pancakes... especially buttermilk stacks with maple syrup & banana. But in this house, we have a dark secret. An obsession, a yen, a love...
for crispy edges...


To find this delicious treat is quite easy. I am the owner of a 'secret' family recipe. It's acutally for crepes if truth be told, but they're always called pancakes here. It's just how we roll. (Roll, get it, like you roll crepes?! Ah, I crack myself up...) It's been handed down generation to generation - well since 1963's publication of Step-by-step Cookery for the Australian Women's Weekly in it's bright orange cover. It's been converted from imperial to metric by my Mum and I am going to share it, just in case there is another family gripped by crispy-edge-itis:
1 cup plain flour
pinch salt
1 egg
1 1/4 cup milk
Just sift the flour & salt, put in the egg & whisk in milk until you get a thin batter.
Cook in a pan with butter
They're actually like little flat Yorkshire Puddings - incidentally it's my pudding recipe as well except I bake in muffin trays with 1 tsp of oil in a very hot oven for about 10 mins.
They are delicious rolled up with lemon and sugar, jam, syrup and even fruit. If my family's little secret disgusts you, I apologise - I just feel safe sharing my dirty laundry on my little blog ;0) Perhaps you could share your family's food quirks to make me feel less freaky?

2 comments:

Karen said...

YUM. I'm stealing this. But I'm not telling the kids. Because then they'll want it RIGHT THIS SECOND.

Little Munchkins said...

Hello Leah!

I had 'lost' your blog for a while, but just found it back. Haven't seen you around EB in a long while.

I haven't got a family food quirk that I can think of right now. If I think of one I will be sure to come back and let you know.